Cleaning out the Drawer…

And what did I find? Several pieces of needlework that were languishing in the drawer because they were in need of a frame or something so they could be displayed or used.  I decided that my afternoon would be devoted to emptying this drawer of at least a few items!

The first two were framed and ready to go, it was their larger partner that had hit a snag; it was an odd size, and I couldn’t see my way clear to have a frame custom built, knowing that I could never match the smaller two.

I pulled out a frame I had picked up at the thrift store, and took some bits of paint, giving it a somewhat gilded appearance. It doesn’t match the others in style, and it will require a mat, so I don’t think an exact match of frame color will be necessary. While it was drying, I used some leftover batting and got the cross stitch ready to mount. Fortunately I had a mat that was close to the right size, allowing me to test the width of the borders. I found the dark rose color from my threads, and once the frame was dry I measured it for the mat. A visit to Hobby Lobby to have my mat cut, and I have a trio of flowers to hang, probably in the living room.


I also found a piece of hardanger that I had DSCN0728completed and never hung, probably because I lacked a frame and a mat. I decided the best alternative was to turn it into a pillow. While perusing my fabric stash, I remembered I had some left over canvas from my messenger bag project, so I used that for the hardanger backing. I found a piece of faux duiponi in the fabric stash, so cut out pieces for the back from that. I had stuffing downstairs, sent by my MIL to make stuffed animals with (never did), so I put it to use as well. The resulting pillow looks great in the chair I reupholstered several Christmases ago.

Finally, I took one of the “knot head” pieces I stitched years ago and constructed a round pillow from it, utilizing fabric once used for covering the sofa pillows during the holidays. It was always too dark, so I traded for a cream and gold fabric last year. Even though it is a holy berry print, it is so dark you really have to look, and being on the back, why not! The stuffing filled that pillow as well, with plenty left over for whatever project I try next! DSCN0729

I’m feeling pretty pleased with myself, making some of my languishing projects into something that can be out and used instead of laying in storage! Even better, the only thing I bought was the mat (with a 40% off coupon). A well spent afternoon. 😃

Advertisements

16 thoughts on “Cleaning out the Drawer…

  1. That’s awesome Kathy! It’s fun to go treasure hunting in closets and drawers! I love the pillows – I’ve become really smitten with throw pillows lately. 😀

    Liked by 1 person

  2. You are good, I have a whole lot of completed pieces that need framing but alas framing is so expensive and although I have lots of frames I am not very good at the lacing and find it very difficult to get the finished piece even. If I didn’t live so far away I would be coming for lessons Kathy.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. I will confess, Helen, that my lacing material is actually masking and duct tape!! However, I have several pieces that I did 15-20 years ago, and they still look good, so I feel OK about my cheating. I have also been known to use water soluble fabric markers on occasion…..😊

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s