Irish Mini Quilt

 

Awhile back I posted some lessons learned during my mini quilt projects; I didn’t want too much time to pass before trying them out, so moved quilt #3 up in my queue.  This past month I rotated cutting the wedding quilt neutrals with working on what I have dubbed the Irish Mini.

The fabrics came as part of a kit from Connecting Threads, and they are certainly vibrant! They were also quite generous, with a little ingenuity I could probably piece one or two more tops from the kit!

I took care to be certain my lighting was excellent this round, and took my time with the piecing of the flying geese blocks. They were done in a unique fashion, which yielded two completed blocks for each pass. My piecing was more accurate this time, and I only had to recut one square. My flying geese could still use more practice. They met the size standard, but they are not all perfectly square, so the points wander a little bit from center.

imageThe quilt top really came together nicely, and now it’s time to experiment with some free motion quilting in the center. I was a little nervous about this, but looked for inspiration from  books and photos.  I visit Doreen at Treadlemusic often, and always leave inspired–she is a true artist! Last evening I looked around on Pinterest for quite awhile, and I found Lori Kennedy of the In Box Jaunt. I have decided to try her Irish Shamrock for the large square. Her tutorial made me brave enough to give this a go! She has oodles of ideas perfect for someone like me who can’t draw without serious help. You can check out her site here.

imageI have worked out a plan for the main body now, and spent a couple of hours on my machine finishing up. All things considered, I am really happy with how this quilt turned out. Of course there were more lessons learned…I do much better with my free motion quilting after a 2-3 minute warmup, and if I have to rip something out, my best option is to draw in the correction, because it is still difficult for me to start a section free hand. My stitch in the ditch was much improved on this quilt; I used my clear presser foot instead of the edge stitcher.

Sewing wise, if I ever do flying geese for a larger quilt, I will measure my blocks from the top of the triangle so they run straight. I will also cut my backing larger so I have something to trim off. I was short in one corner after the quilting, but was able to attach my binding so that it was wider in the back, so problem solved.

I’ve enjoyed the ability to apply what I’ve learned immediately with the mini quilts, and have also enjoyed having some finished projects as well. Now it’s time to set the machine for garment construction…my Marfy coat is next in the queue!

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s